I find lunges to be among the most effective lower body bodyweight exercises. I thought you might want to add them to your daily bodyweight routine, so I’m offering this handy guide on how to do lunges. It’s pretty easy that even beginners can follow.
But first, the benefits.
How Lunges Benefit Your Body
Let me give you some more motivation to try this simple but effective bodyweight exercise.
Lunges can help you:
- Improve your balance
- Tone your hip flexors
- Strengthen your glutes
- Achieve better core stability
- Enhance your bodily symmetry
Now that’s a lot of benefit from just one bodyweight routine. But, in order for you to reap all these benefits, you need to perform the lunge the right way.
How To Do Lunges Correctly
Performing a lunge correctly does not only enable you to tone your body; it also keeps you from physical injuries!
Now it’s quite easy to just get all the how-to information right from the demo video below, but let me break down some of the most important points you’ll want to remember when performing the lunge.
- As you drop down from a standing position (as illustrated in the sketch above), just bend your knee downward instead of moving it forward.
- Keep your chest up and keep looking forward.
- Perform the lunge as if you’re doing it as a “natural, functional movement.”
- Do 10 reps for each side of your body (this could be a good number for beginners).
Once you’ve mastered the correct form for a basic lunge, you can do other variations such as the following:
Not yet ready to step up the lunge game? Proceed with the basic lunge first!
Here’s how to perform a lunge for beginners—and how to do them the right way.