What Is A Turkish Get Up?
The Turkish Get-Up is a strength exercise composed of multiple movements, allowing you to target several muscle groups as you “get up” from the ground to a standing position.
The get-up, also known as the Turkish Get Up, is one of the most highly praised strength-training exercises out there. I’m talking about whether it’s done with purely your body weight or with the use of a kettlebell.
While the end goal of the move is to get you to stand, I suggest you start practicing up to the slanted (middle) position, as you can see from the drawing above. Even if you just do so, you’re already going to hit the following:
How To Perform A Bodyweight Turkish Get-Up
Since you’re not using any kettlebell for bodyweight get-ups, you can begin this calisthenics by laying with your back flat on the ground, folding your knees in about 45 degrees, and raising your right arm straight above your head.
- Push your right shoulder down while keeping your right arm up. Open your palm.
- Slide and stretch out your left leg diagonally, about 45 degrees. Do the same for your left arm.
- Roll to your left side, raising your right hip and pushing your left elbow down to help you get up.
- Now stretch your left arm to come up. Keep your weight resting on your left hip and leg.
- Press onto the floor using your left foot to raise your left hip.
- Do the reverse to get back to the starting position.
- Repeat the steps to the other side of your body.
Now if you want to bring your get-ups to the next level, you can follow through the tutorial below.
A Simple Tutorial for Doing Get-Ups
Here’s a simple (but actually well-explained) demonstration of the Turkish Get-Up. Take note that the demonstrator, Keira Newton, illustrates the Get-Up in the context of using a kettlebell as the added weight.
She, however, carefully illustrates each move without actually lifting a kettlebell, so you can easily follow the same principles when doing a bodyweight version of this exercise.
Good luck on doing get-ups!
Credits: Keira Newton/YouTube